[Spacewalk-list] Feature suggestion: refer to external repositories

Covil, K (Kim) Kim.Covil at rabobank.com
Mon Jun 30 16:34:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

I think it would be really useful if Spacewalk could refer to external repositories rather than have to maintain a copy of all RPMs itself. It could retrieve repository headers in the same way yum does, and when you select to install a package on a subscribed system, the system could be given the external repository URL to download from. A further enhancement to this would allow an internal web proxy url to be specified to allow squid or such like to provide local caching for a network. This would move Spacewalk more to managing systems and what packages they have installed than managing the actual packages themselves. It would also dramatically cut down the local storage requirements.

Regards,

Kim
--
Linux Enhancement Project
Email: kim.covil at rabobank.com
Direct: +44 207 809 3411

This email (including any attachments to it) is confidential, legally privileged, subject to copyright and is sent for the personal attention of the intended recipient only. If you have received this email in error, please advise us immediately and delete it. You are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, we cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the viruses in this email or attachments. We exclude any liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided in this email or its attachments, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If this email contains an offer, that should be considered as an invitation to treat.