[Spacewalk-list] Disaster recovery and client duplication question.

Adrián Márques amarques at geocom.com.uy
Mon Nov 3 14:20:59 UTC 2008

Hey there,

I'm toying around with spacewalk whenever I can (not much :( ) to see
if  we adopt its use at the company I work for.
I have have the following question:

Regarding the systems spacewalk would potentially manage, our company's
procedure to restore one on the event of a hard drive malfunction is to
clone a master installation (via clonezilla) into the new hard disk and
then manually apply some custom configuration for the particular
machine. In such a scenario, the cloned machine would have to be
registered again with spacewalk and I figure this would create a
duplicated system entry on the server. Is this right? If so, how do I
get around that problem?  I've browsed the docs but couldn't find an
answer there.

I thank you already for your attention.
To the spacewalk team, congrats on the job done so far and on already
having release 0.3 around the corner.

Regards.

Adrián.