[Spacewalk-list] Functionallity Suggestion: Become package agnostic

Duncan Innes duncan at innes.net
Fri Oct 3 10:41:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 15:23 +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Duncan Innes wrote:
> > Theory (albeit mine) says there's very little about Spacewalk that is
> > tied to using RPM files for distribution.  If DEB file, tgz or others
> > could be used, this would open up a whole new range of interested
> > parties to the development table.
>
> You really can not be package agnostic. Client tools will be always
> differen. Geting list of installed package is different in Fedora is
> really different from Debian, which is really different from Slackware...
> The same for server parts, you need different package header parser for
> deb, tgz, rpm... And so on...
>
> But good timing! If things will go good, I will tell you more about deb
> support on Tuesday.

OK - I understand that the client tools will be different, but there
*could* still be a modular way of performing the actions depending on
the client couldn't there?  Much as yum has been replacing up2date - but
on a slightly more complex level.

As for server side modules, header parsing is something that could be
done for a few of the more mainstream packages couldn't it?

This is, of course, only a theoretical discussion.  Not sure which
direction Spacewalk is taking for repository management etc.

Duncan