[Spacewalk-list] Functionallity Suggestion: Become package agnostic

Miroslav Suchy msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 11:07:06 UTC 2008

----- "Duncan Innes" <duncan at innes.net> wrote:
> OK - I understand that the client tools will be different, but there
> *could* still be a modular way of performing the actions depending on
> the client couldn't there?  Much as yum has been replacing up2date -
> but
> on a slightly more complex level.

Spacewalk design is even better then modular :) We are using (open) standards -xml-rpc.
All action are transfered using xml-rpc, so nothing stops you to write new or modify existent client tools.
For example if you want to be able to register your machine to spacewalk with some obsure machine, you can do it now. Without any change in server side. Just write/modify client tool for that platform. And test it.
But I'm quiet sure, that you can not make unified client which will work on Fedora, Debian, Slackware and let say AmigaOS :)

> As for server side modules, header parsing is something that could be
> done for a few of the more mainstream packages couldn't it?

Yes. Patches are welcome.

> This is, of course, only a theoretical discussion.  Not sure which
> direction Spacewalk is taking for repository management etc.

The direction, that Spacawalk developers are taking. Become Spacewalk developer, send here some patches and you will give Spacewalk direction you want to.

Miroslav Suchy