[Spacewalk-list] And after install....

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 17:52:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Moises Rivera
<moises.rivera.plaza at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have a customer that need the installation of the RHN Satellite. I try
> with SpaceWalk, because, I dont have any experience with this product.

The installation procedures for RHN Satellite and Spacewalk are a
little bit different. In Satellite, you download the ISO (either with
the embedded database or external database), and there is an installer
script that takes care of everything for you, from installing the
packages, setting up the database, generating the CA, etc.  The
installation of Spacewalk is significantly more manual (though still
very doable)

>  After a lot ot problems with the PGP keys, packages installations and more,
> finally I installed spacewalk (yuju!!!!). But.... and now? :) Today I can
> connect to the spacewalk - internal - web, but I dont know the next steps in
> the configuration.

Again, Spacewalk and Satellite differ significantly here. With
Spacewalk, you're fully responsible for creating all of your custom
content, pushing content into channels, etc. With Satellite, if you're
running a connected Satellite, you simply type 'satellite-sync
--list-channels' and it will connect to RHN and show you the channels
that you are entitled to. Then you type 'satellite-sync -c <channel
labels>' and it will start pulling down all of that content from RHN
hosted.

>  I dont know if I must create a Channel, if I nedd a certificate - in the
> FAQ say that spacewalk use a certificate, but it say that spacewalk not use
> it -.....

Yes, in Spacewalk you need to create channels. In Satellite, the
channel creation of Red Hat channels will be taken care of by the
commands that I listed above, however, you will still need to create
whatever custom channels you require and push content to them using
rhnpush.

As for the certificate, both use an entitlement certificate, the
difference is where you get it.  For Satellite, you'll have to get one
from Red Hat customer service, it specifies what channel entitlements
you have and how many, as well as any add-on entitlements that you may
have purchased (provisioning, monitoring). A cert comes by default in
Spacewalk, containing 20,000 entitlements for everything (and
instructions on how to generate one for more if you need).

I hope that helped.