[Spacewalk-list] A couple of questions

Jesus M. Rodriguez jmrodri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 20:03:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Adrián Márques <amarques at geocom.com.uy> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Like I said in another mail, I'm trying out spacewalk, and trying to take it
> all in at once is proving to be quite a task. I'm poking around and reading
> the docs to see how it all works, but I still have some questions maybe some
> of you could answer.
>
> 1) Is there a way to register virtual systems that have already been created
> outside of spacewalk?

You can register a virtual system as a "regular" system with
spacewalk, but in order
for spacewalk to know it is a virtual system, IIRC, it  would have
needed to be created
from spacewalk.

> 2) Can virtual systems be cloned from within spacewalk?

No.

> 3) Installs/updates take quite a while to be applied. Apparently until the
> rhn client happens to check in with the server. Is there a way to speed this
> up? for the server to actively notify the clients of updates?

You can enable osad. That will allow the server to send a message to the
machines for them to checkin.

> 4) I got the following error when installing a couple of packages on a
> client: 'Error while executing packages action: None [[6]] '. I suppose it
> could be a dependency issue: I had pushed into the satellite only a few
> packages because I was very short on disk space, and after I pushed an
> entire CentOs repo the installs proceeded ok. However, the error message
> isn't at all descriptive of the problem. Is there somewhere I can look for
> further information when I get these kind of errors?

Was that error on the client? or in the ui? I agree that error isn't very
descriptive.

jesus