[Spacewalk-list] Oracle XE limitations

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 09:53:07 UTC 2008

Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
% Hi list.

Hi Vladimir,

% I am looking at deploying in-house Spacewalk server, supposed to handle
% provisioning/updates/monitoring of the CentOS 5.2 clients. As client
% installations will be in 1000's in the not so distant future, I was
% wondering whether anybody can share the experiences on the number of
% successfully supported client machines on a single XE instance, given
% the OracleXE limitations (1GB RAM max in particular) and what are the
% realistic numbers in this respect?

How to estimate database size: http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_49_311.shtm
  "...For instance, an RHN Satellite Server containing 10 channels serving
  10,000 systems would require 1.92 GB for its clients and 640 MB for its
  channels."

1GB RAM is more than default setting in Satellite so it should be also OK.

% I'd appreciate any tips.

Think about using several Spacewalk proxies to reduce workload of main
spacewalk server. :)

--
Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat