[Spacewalk-list] Force install, still looking for any answers

Cliff cperry at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 20:05:51 UTC 2009

m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
> Jesus,
>
>> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:58:53 -0400
>> From: Jesus Rodriguez <jesusr at redhat.com>
>> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:05:54PM -0400, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
>>> Asking again, since I got no responses:
>>>
>>> I created a new CentOS 5.3 repository Friday. Today, I unsubscribed my test system to 5.2, and subscribed it to 5.3 and its child channels. I tried to upgrade.
> <snip>
>> What I got was that it had failed, because of rpm conflicts.
>>
>> Spacewalk does *NOT* use the Centos*.repo files or any file in
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/. Sounds like the repomd.xml file it is
>
> That's fine. I made it go away before my final try.
> <snip>
>> And what failed? errors would be helpful in debugging your problem.
>
> As I said, above: the errors listed for the system failure were that a bunch of packages conflicted with existing packages or dependencies. Now, I thought I was doing an upgrade, and that should have not had problem, but this is what I got.

So, what I'm asking is whether there's some way to tell spacewalk, when
it does the push, use --force --nodeps.

I *assume* 'push' - you mean, the clients pulling the CentOS 5.3 content
off your spacewalk channels?

Currently I am not aware of a way to tell yum - yum install everything,
ignoring conflicts/deps and do the equivalent of :
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *

If you need to do that - then the answer is no - I know of no way to do
such a beast, unless I was using rpm directly.

I may suggest that if you are wanting to do that to by-pass Spacewalk
and yum and yum repos... put content into a directory, NFS share it out
and then on client system:

mount cmd to some /mnt/ point
rpm -Uvh /mnt-point/*rpm --force --nodeps
umount /mnt-point

This I do not recommend doing though.

You are I think looking to move a CentOS 5.2 client to 5.3. You created
I assume 5.2 channels, and now created 5.3 channel. This would be the
same as hand-creating 5.2 and 5.3 yum repos based on media made
available for download for each release. just to hi-light the fact that
I feel you would/could hit this issue with plain yum repos as well as
spacewalk server if packages are not made available for installation.

You re-subscribed a system from 5.2 to your 5.3 channel, tried to run
yum update, and it failed. This process sounds sane and reasonable.
Until people can see the failures we cannot try to assist. I assume that
your CentOS 5.3 channel is missing content, either the 5.2 clients have
extra packages installed that are confusing things, or the 5.3 channel
needs extra content added. It will be for yourself to figure out what
packages are needed and path for resolution. We can make suggestions
though, if information is shared. Hopefully after just a couple of
examples you will understand enough to make your own choices without
assistance/help being requested for folks on this list.

Cliff