[Spacewalk-list] yum not updating needed packages, which are shown on spacewalk

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 22:10:55 UTC 2009

Will Cladek wrote:
> In fact, upon further investigation, it seems to be the case that ALL
> packages from the CentOS 5.3 x86_64 update repo aren't being
> recognized by yum (when doing a "yum list"), even though they are in
> the channel as verified on the spacewalk server.  I just put both the
> base and update repos in the same channel, rather than making update a
> child channel as mentioned in another thread, but this wasn't a
> problem with spacewalk 0.2 and CentOS 5.2.  Spacwalk shows
> kernel-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.x86_64 being in the x86_64 channel, but not
> yum:
>
> # yum list kernel
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
> centos-5-x86_64
> |  871 B     00:00     Installed Packages
> kernel.x86_64
> 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5
> installed
> kernel.x86_64
> 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
> installed
> kernel.x86_64
> 2.6.18-128.el5
> installed
>
> In contrast, I have an i386 CentOS 5 system subscribed to an i386
> channel containing both base and update packages from 5.3.  Updating
> with yum works fine, and doing a yum list shows the packages from the
> update repo.  In this case, Spacewalk shows
> kernel-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.i686 being in the i386 channel, and so does
> yum:
>
> # yum list kernel
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
> centos-5-i386
> |  871 B     00:00     Installed Packages
> kernel.i686
> 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5
> installed
> kernel.i686
> 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
> installed
> kernel.i686
> 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5
> installed
>
> Is this somehow an issue specific to x86_64?
>
> Will Cladek wrote:
>> I have a CentOS 5 x86_64 server subscribed to a spacewalk (0.5)
>> channel containing the base and update repo packages for CentOS 5.3
>> x86_64.  There are 20 packages that need updating, as confirmed by
>> the system information on the spacewalk server.  I'll pick on
>> wireshark here.  Spacewalk shows that I have wireshark-1.0.3-4.el5_2
>> installed, which is true, and need to update to
>> wireshark-1.0.6-2.el5_3.  However, when I do a "yum check-update" or
>> "yum update" on the system itself, it shows no updates being
>> available.  Furthermore, yum doesn't even seem to be aware that the
>> newer version of wireshark exists:
>>
>> # yum list wireshark
>> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, rhnplugin
>> centos-5-x86_64
>> |  871 B     00:00     Installed Packages
>> wireshark.x86_64
>> 1.0.3-4.el5_2
>> installed
>>
>> Why won't yum show these updates?

I fixed this issue and built new updates on Wednesday. I  dont think
they synced the repo yet with these new packages.

Zeus, when you get a chance, can you pull the updated spacewalk-backend
and spacewalk-java packages into the 0.5 repo? I already built em into
koji. I still see older ones in the repo.

Thanks,
~ Prad