[Spacewalk-list] CentOS 5.2 - a warning

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Tue Apr 21 21:20:59 UTC 2009

Well, I've succeeded in reverting to a pre-upgrade snapshot, reregistered the system, and did the upgrade.

This is all CentOS 5.2. I'm still on Spacewalk 0.4

HOWEVER, as an FYI, a warning: for some reason, in the x86_64 repository, there are a number of i686 packages, including the kernel. Apparently, when I tell Spacewalk upgrade, its select picks the first package, and so got the i686 32-bit packages. The result of this was, when I tried to reboot, it would hang 100% of the time with "request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c" repeated several times.

Once I went to manage software channels, packages, and looked there and found them, and then removed them, I had no problem.

Btw, I just looked at the CentOS 5.2, and doing a find at the top level of .../pub/centos-5.3-x86_64, I find only two such packages:
./base/CentOS/glibc-2.5-34.i686.rpm
./base/CentOS/openssl-0.9.8e-7.el5.i686.rpm

So, folks, be warned.... This is *not* a Spacewalk problem - I suppose I should tell the CentOS folks, but since I know there are a number of other folks working with CentOS here, thought I'd mention it.

On the other hand, when I click on a package name on the system->software->upgrade page, expecting the same info that I see going through channels->packages, I get a 500 error.

    mark