[Spacewalk-list] Kickstart config file generated by Spacewalk Config Management

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Wed Aug 26 20:37:01 UTC 2009

Randy Rubins wrote:
> What process on the Spacewalk server generates the kickstart profile
> .cfg file in /var/lib/rhn/kickstarts/wizard directory?
> Is there a way to update the template(s) used by this process, like one
> would normally be able to do via standard cobbler interface/templates?
>
> Maybe someone could also expand on the "Spacewalk command section" in
> the kickstart profile?  Why are we updating/installing "pyOpenSSL,
> libxml2-python, and rhnlib", but leaving out "rhn-setup" and a few
> others from the spacewalk-client-tools repo?
So we used to do this for rhn-setup, but it was causing some issues with
dependencies with older versions of RHEL 5.

> I'd like to install, register, and update CentOS 5 clients directly from
> my Spacewalk server, without configuring an external yum repo on my
> clients....
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.

One of the features that was created after 0.6's release but was
backported to 0.6 was the ability to include child channels as repos
within a kickstart file.  All you need to do is create a child channel
and push all the client packages to it (or you could spacewalk-repo-sync
the el5 spacewalk repo).

Then in your kickstart profile on the "Operating System" tab, simply
select that child channel.  Then you include  "rhn-setup" within your
%packages section of your kickstart.  The result of this is that all
needed client utils are installed before the rhnreg_ks occurs.

-Justin

> Randy Rubins

Justin Sherrill, RHCA          1801 Varsity Drive.
Software Engineer                Raleigh, NC 27603
Red Hat, Inc.