[Spacewalk-list] errata question

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Thu Dec 3 10:01:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 06:14:16PM -0600, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> Looking at this script I had a couple questions:
>
> #All files for packages mentioned in the centos-announce postings
> #should reside in this directory. reposyncing the "updates" repo of
> #your fave centos release should do the trick
> package_dir=/centos-mirror/%(version)s.%(release)s/updates/%(arch)s/RPMS/
>
> So say I have CentOS-Base channel, and I want all the errata to show up correctly in that channel.  It almost sounds like I need a
> different channel for the updates?

It's that way because I have a channel for each of the os, updates and
extras CentOS upstream repositories. You can tell the script to push
the errata to any channel though, it's the "update_channel" option
later in the file. In your case you'd just push it to the base channel
instead.

In the next version of the script (multiple arch support) I'll need to
support many package_dirs anyway, so doing other configurations will
become a bit easier too.

> Also, if I'm reposyncing the updates from the yum mirror, why do I
> need a local copy as well?  Along those lines, if I'm pushing the
> RPM's why would I also reposync them?

The package files are needed to get unambiguous NVREA values for each
package. Parsing the package filename in the announce emails is
error-prone[1] and there doesn't appear to be a way to get a package
record from spacewalk using the package file name. Even if there was
there might still be issues with (for example) noarch packages with
the same filename in i386 and x86_64. If these are stored as separate
package records in Spacewalk then you would have no way of knowing
which was the "correct" one to associate with the errata.

Regards,

[1] That said I could try and hack something in to do this if people
*really* want it.

--
David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662