[Spacewalk-list] question about jabber server and osad clients

Mullis, Josh (CCI - Atlanta) josh.mullis at cox.com
Thu Dec 31 02:57:34 UTC 2009

I found out that our firewalls have session timeouts, thus the jabber
connections were timing out.
(This also causes the strange behavior of a clients 'netstat -an |grep
5222' command saying "ESTABLISHED" even though there is no connection on
the spacewalk server.)

After doing the following, I am having no issues with timeouts...

----------------------
sed -i 's/<interval>.*/<interval>120<\/interval>/' /etc/jabberd/*.xml*
sed -i 's/<keepalive>.*/<keepalive>120<\/keepalive>/' /etc/jabberd/*.xml*
sed -i 's/<idle>.*/<idle>600<\/idle>/' /etc/jabberd/*.xml* |grep '<idle>'

rhn-satellite restart
Restarted osad on all clients (This step may not be necessary.)
----------------------

The above settings are all explained in the .xml configs
under /etc/jabberd/ .
Essentially, it will send a "whitespace" character as a keepalive.
(Every 2 minutes in my case)
I verified this in tcpdump and jabber does only send 1 small packet
every 2 minutes.

Of course depending on your firewall timeout configs, you may need to
tweak this a bit.

Hope this helps someone else.
-Josh