[Spacewalk-list] reposync and rhnpush

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 21:47:33 UTC 2009

Mark,

Actually, there has been some message threads about this same issue that are
in the archives, but yes...  the duplication of packages (RPMs) is common
with a spacewalk system.  The problem is that the tools such as reposync,
rsync, and cobbler don't know how to synchronize directly with spacewalk.
So you have to synchronize all the pkgs locally first, then push them into
spacewalk.
One of the better solutions I have seen was to create links to the packages
with the files under /var/satellite.  Then you will only have one copy of
the actual packages on your system and the links will fool reposync into
functioning properly.  Now that requires some additional scripting to pull
that off.  I've seen some say to just delete the reposync'd packages after
pushing them into spacewalk, but that seems like a huge waste of bandwidth
because everytime you reposync you will be pulling all the packages down
again.
Also worth noting... I believe some of the info on the
<https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/ManagingFedoraSystems> may be
out-of-date with the most recent release of spacewalk (v0.4).  At least with
respect to the "Kickstarting Fedora clients" section.

-Mike