[Spacewalk-list] How to debug a "Internal Server Error" in Spacewalk

Clifford Perry cperry at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 02:53:47 UTC 2009

Santi Saez wrote:

> Hi Cliff,
>
> El 9/2/09 18:07, Clifford Perry escribió:
>
>> Apache log files, tomcat log files - the traceback with details of what
>> happened when you see the ISE is within those log files. It is also
>> typically emailed a copy of the traceback.
>>
>> Find the traceback, feel free to share and we can see if the problem
>> stands out to us or clues of what is happening by looking.
>
> Full catalina.out is available at:
>
> http://pastebin.com/f377cd03a
>
> And Apache log at:
>
> http://pastebin.com/f44fc6551
>
> We're using Spacewalk 0.4 upgraded from 0.3, do you need more info to
> help solving this issue?
>
> # rpm -qa spacewalk
> spacewalk-0.4.2-3.el5
>
> Regards,

example.com - - [09/Feb/2009:18:36:27 +0100] "GET
/rhn/software/packages/Details.do?sid=1000010176&id_combo=2488|1707|
HTTP/1.1" 500 5620

# at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:685)
# at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
# Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
# at
com.redhat.rhn.frontend.action.rhnpackage.PackageDetailsAction.execute(PackageDetailsAction.java:68)
# at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:431)
#       ... 40 more
# 2009-02-09 18:37:22,635 [TP-Processor12] ERROR
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/rhn].[action]
- Servlet.service() for servlet action threw exception
# java.lang.NullPointerException
# at
com.redhat.rhn.frontend.action.rhnpackage.PackageDetailsAction.execute(PackageDetailsAction.java:68)
# at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:431)
# at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:237)

"I get a "Internal Server Error" when:

Systems -> Software -> List / Remove -> Select a package

Only occurs when selecting packages that aren't in channels, packages
that are in a channel does not cause this error."

Ohh - well - I bet I could reproduce this - care to file a bugzilla?

The issue is that you have packages installed on a client system which
do not have packages uploaded on the Spacewalk system. So you go look at
the systems package profile, click on to select a specific package -
this performs a DB lookup for more details. Sounds like we did not make
a proper lookup on if we know details or not - get a Null (or empty
data) and this results within the ISE. Other than uploading the package,
no short term solution, or stop doing that - please file the bug and
hopefully we can get it fixed.

Cliff