[Spacewalk-list] Client setup

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 21:54:41 UTC 2009

Mark,

----- Original Message -----
From: <m.roth2006 at rcn.com>
To: <spacewalk-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] Client setup

> >Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:06:45 -0500 (EST)
>>From: <m.roth2006 at rcn.com>
>>
>>It's not clear to me what I need to put on the spacewalk server, and what
>>on the client. I got spacewalk-client-tools, but it contains only the
>>spacewalk-client->>tools.repo and the
> <snip>
> Well, ignore that, I figured it out. However, I'd like to set this up to
> retrieve the client tools from my spacewalk server itself, not from the
> mirrors. I tried editing
> the spacewalk-client-tools.repo, but when I tried yum, it complained that
> it didn't have ../repodata/repomd.xml
>
> Is this something I have to explicitly get, with a seperate reposync, or a
> wget, to put it on my spacewalk server? What's the preferred method?

I think the simplier solution is to create a directory on the spacewalk
server and put all the relevant RPMs in that directory.  For example:
/var/www/html/pub/spacewalk-client-tools
Then write a script that will 'wget' the necessary RPMs from that directory
and register the client.  Of course you could do both, create a "spacewalk
client tools" channel, and have a directory with all the needed RPMs.
Actually, I'm in the process of writing my own script that will
automatically register CentOS 5.2 clients (i386 & x86_64).  I'm using the
following Fedora example as a template:
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/ManagingFedoraSystems   However my
script will pull all the keys and necessary client (and prequisites) rpms
from my spacewalk server.

-Mike