[Spacewalk-list] register systems

Jesus Rodriguez jesusr at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 21:05:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:20:16AM -0500, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:
> I log into spacewalk. From the first page, overview, I click on register systems. I get a 404:
>  The page you requested, /rhn/help/client-config/en/index.jsp, was not found.
>
> I look in /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out, and see the same message that I mentioned a few weeks ago, when I spoke of hacking around with spacewalk, and was castigated for doing so:
> Feb 17, 2009 9:06:21 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
> WARNING: A docBase /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/rhn inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored
>
> So, unless someone yells at me that there's a good reason not to, that doing so will break something else, I'm going to recursively copy the whole directory to /var/www/html. Last time, I tried symbolic links, and tomcat still complained.
>
> Does anyone have a good explanation for a) why the directory's under /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps, instead of /var/www/html, and b) this wasn't caught long before the release of 0.4? This time, I have *not*, until now, hacked at the system to make it work, but this functionality (or lack thereof) is obviously a problem.
>
> Actually, thinking further, I wonder if this was why both methods of registering a system, rhnreg_ks and rhn_register, gave error messages, even though it had succeeded.

That page isn't in Spacewalk. That's a broken link. PLEASE PLEASE
don't start copying things around. File a bug for the broken link please.

Plus, the Register System link will take you to a help page describing
how to register a system via the command line.

jesus m. rodriguez        | jesusr at redhat.com
sr. software engineer     | irc: zeus
rhn satellite & spacewalk | 919.754.4413 (w)
rhce # 805008586930012    | 919.623.0080 (c)
|  "Those who cannot learn from history     |
|   are doomed to repeat it."               |
|                       -- George Santayana |