[Spacewalk-list] cobbler and kickstart profiles

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 16:30:31 UTC 2009

On 07/10/2009 07:06 AM, Bill Gunter wrote:
> I'm a bit confused on the relationship between spacewalk and cobbler.
> I've read the explanation of the two-way communication that occurs
> between them, but I'm not sure how I should go about actually using the
> functionality. The snippets are viewable in spacewalk, but not editable,
> and there's no way to use them via spacewalk. It appears that you have
> to edit the profile in /var/lib/rhn/kickstart/wizard/ directly.

You actually can add snippets in 2 ways:

1) In the Kickstart Details -> Advanced Options screen at the very
bottom is a:

Custom options:

In that box you can add snippets:

$SNIPPET('cobbler_registration')

2) Add a %pre or %post script that references snippets with the above
syntax.

>  However,
> will spacewalk croak on arbitrary changes to this file considering that
> it's generated automagically? Should I dispense entirely with
> spacewalk-generated profiles and create my own from scratch? What's the
> Best Practice here?

I would stick to editing them in the GUI and adding snippets as I have
described above.  If you want to use hand-created kickstart files you
can do that to, just copy-paste your own file into the 'upload new
kickstart file' page:

https://spacewalk.example.com/rhn/kickstart/AdvancedModeCreate.do

Mike
--