RE: [Spacewalk-list] RHEL 4 Clients?

Well, I’ve created a RHEL 4 channel on my spacewalk server and rhnpush’ed the RPM’s into it, so that part is all set.  I guess the next step is to get the yum client working on the RHEL 4 client

From: spacewalk-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of John McNulty
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:15 AM
To: spacewalk-list redhat com
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] RHEL 4 Clients?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Wojtak, Greg <GregWojtak quickenloans com> wrote:

Is there any documentation anywhere to setup RHEL 4 servers as spacewalk clients to get their updates?  How is this handled when yum was introduced to RHEL in version 5?

I've not tried this personally but I think you can use yum from CentOS 4.  There are some instructions here:

      http://www.eth0.us/yum-rhel

I don't know if this will be able talk directly to RHN successfully, I suspect not.   So having thought about this before, what I imagine might work is if you use mrepo to generate a system id for RHEL 4, register this with RHN (so you'd need an extra spare paid for subscription) and then use mrepo with the RHEL 4 system id to pull the rpms from RHN and create a local RHEL 4 yum repo mirror.  From there I think you should be able to rhn-push this repo into a Spacewalk channel.

It's something I've thought about trying myself so we can centrally manage a mix of RHEL 4 and 5 systems from Spacewalk here, but don't have time to do at the moment.   If you get it working I'd be interested to know.

Cheers,

John