[Spacewalk-list] question about install/upgrade packages not being picked up by the guest

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Mon May 25 15:31:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 04:53:15PM +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We succesfully subsribed some CentOS 4 and 5 clients to our Spacewalk
> server (running CentOS 5 32 bit).
> We noticed that some of the guests don't automatically pickup the
> Install or Upgrade schedules.
> We also use the Jabber/OSAD setup so that we can push the rhn_check -vv
> requests emediatly.
>
> The guests only use the red hat network plugin and only spacewalk as yum
> repo.
>
> A rhn_check -vv works. but pushed through Spacewalk/OSAD/Jabber does not.
>
> How can I best troubleshoot this issue?

It sounds like osad is not working for some reason. One way to
debug this is to start OSAD on the client as follows:

   osad -N -vv

You should see plenty of information being printed out about
connections being made to the jabber server and so forth. Then, when
you schedule an action (obviously a ping is good for testing) you will
see this in OSAD's debugging output.

Potential problems include:

1) incorrect SSL certs shared between the client and server
2) jabber daemon on the server inaccessible to the client due to
   firewall
3) Trying to run jabberd 2.2 with spacewalk 0.5 - uninstall this and
   use jabberd 2.0
4) ISTR having to fiddle with my jabberd configuration to get osad
   working when I set this up, so turning up the jabberd logging on
   the spacewalk server may help in turning up problems. Unfortunately
   this was some time ago so I cannot remember the details
   exactly.

Finally, here's a posting I made to this list regarding OSAD configuration:

http://www.mail-archive.com/spacewalk-list@redhat.com/msg00584.html

The chap I was replying to then put some of that information on the
wiki, I think on this page:

https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/OSADSetup

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662