From: Craig Pendleton <craig pendleton healthlanguage com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:32:41 -0600
To: <spacewalk-list redhat com>
Subject: [Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk setup questions

I am a new user of Spacewalk, currently working through initial setup for RHEL and CentOS base and “client tools” child channels.  I’ve run into a host of problems, and I’m hoping some kind soul can help me sort these out.   Please excuse the long post.

I’ve read through most of the Spacewalk Wiki and Redhat Satellite/RHN documentation, and I can’t seem to track these issues down.   What I’m looking to accomplish is:

  1. Kickstart RHEL and CentOS clients that install all required Spacewalk client components and self-register to OS and config file channels with my Spacewalk server
  2. Automatically deploy errata, updates, and config files to these systems based on their channel membership, through Spacewalk.  Remote commands as well.
  3. Security is not very important in my environment, as these are throw-away test systems on an isolated segment

I have done the following:

  1. Build spacewalk server, according to the following instructions: https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall
  2. I’ve followed these instructions for channel/kickstart setup for both RHEL and CentOS: https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToKickstartCobbler
  3. Run “cobbler buildiso” for a bootstrap install disk, as I can’t use cobbler’s integrated DHCP/PXE in my environment

What is working:

  1. Clients kickstart  fine, using the buildiso created with cobbler.
  2. Clients apparently self-register to the correct base and child OS channels, via a rhnreg_ks command in my ks.cfg
  3. Clients show entitlements management, virtualization, provisioning, monitoring following kickstart

What I can’t get working properly:

    1. Install all required client tools during kickstart.  All the client RPMs are in the “client tools” child channel that the client is kickstarting from, but none of these packages get installed.   Installing these from Spacewalk also fails.
    2. Since client tools weren’t being installed during kickstart, I’ve even tried a bunch of “wget http://mirror.whatever.com/package.rpm && yum localinstall package.rpm” installs in my ks.cfg.   For some reason kickstart always hangs on jabberpy and koan installs.
    3. Push any packages or config files to clients.   I can schedule them in Spacewalk, but they sit in a pending state until they fail.  Remote commands do the same.
    4. “OSA Status” is showing offline on the system page in Spacewalk
    5. Since I cannot use DHCP/PXE for this in my environment, I would like to pass a hostname parameter to kickstart when booting from the cobbler buildiso.  Is that possible?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.   I’ll be happy to provide any information you might need to help me, but I’m not sure where to start looking at this point.

Regards,
Craig

NOTICE BY HEALTH LANGUAGE, INC.
This message, as well as any attached document, contains information from Health Language, Inc. that is confidential.  The information is intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If you have received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this message and its attachments, if any, destroy any hard copies you may have created, without disclosing the contents, and notify the sender immediately.  Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.