[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk + Oracle XE =>ORA-12952: The request exceeds the maximum allowed database size of 4 GB

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Wed Nov 25 10:05:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:01:43PM +0100, Santi Saez wrote:
> El 23/11/09 11:53, David Nutter escribió:
>
> >If you are using monitoring it's a good idea to periodically clear out
> >the monitoring data tables. There's a script kicking around somewhere
> >that does this, probably it'll be included in Spacewalk 0.7.
> >
> >Also, if you have loads of old packages in your channels, clear them
> >out and delete them from the server and trash any old errata. This
> >helps a bit, but you'll probably have to bite the bullet and buy an
> >oracle licence eventually.
>
> Do you mean "monitoring-data-cleanup" [1] Perl script ?

That's the one.

> I get a DBI connect error when executing:

> DBI connect('xe','spacewalk',...) failed: ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check
> ORACLE_HOME (Linux) env var  or PATH (Windows) and or NLS settings,
> permissions, etc. at
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/NOCpulse/NOCpulseini.pm line 50

Odd. I'm afraid my Oracle-fu is weak so I don't know what that error
means. Anyway, I've run this script as the oracle user - maybe try
that if you aren't doing so already.

> BTW, Oracle XE is limited to 4GB of disk space and Spacewalk only uses <2GB:
>
> SELECT SUM((blocks*8)/1024) FROM all_tables WHERE owner = 'SPACEWALK';
>
> SUM((BLOCKS*8)/1024)
> --------------------
>           1840.25781
>
> We're investigating when Oracle spents 4GB of disk space, and if there's
> no solution we will purchase an Oracle licence, thanks!

I was wondering about space usage as well and after a bit of googling
found this:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_script_oracle_table_size.htm

It seems that Oracle has several different concepts of size, all
rather confusing. For this reason I use the space report in Oracle's
web interface rather than using SQLplus. Presumably XE thinks it is
using much more space than your block count above - possibly it counts
the redo logs and so forth in the overall space count.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662