[Spacewalk-list] question about patches pushed slow

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Tue Oct 20 09:57:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:50:44AM +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:

> > [osad]
>
> You mean on the clients right?
> There is no osad running on the server.

Yes, sorry, I'm not being very clear.

> And you mean a ping from the client to the server via spacewalk?

Yes, you can do that from the system info page.

> > If osad is not running for whatever reason the clients will still wait
> > until rhnsd checks in and then if there are pending actions rhn_check
> > is invoked. Maybe start both rhnsd and rhn_check in the foreground on
> > a client and watch their debugging output during a "normal" scheduled
> > check in - that might give you a clue why rhn_check is hanging.
>
> Hmm I think it has all to do with the not working osad connections.
> The /etc/init.d/osa-dispatcher start takes a lot of time..also running
> the /usr/sbin/osa-dispatcher -v does not provide any verbose info..

If Jabber isn't listening on the correct interfaces/ports
then waiting for those connection attempts to time out might be the
cause of your hang. If this is the issue & you can't get osa-dispatcher
itself to give out decent debugging info then maybe wireshark might
help.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662