[Spacewalk-list] Startup error on new install

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 14:41:44 UTC 2009

Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2009, at 8:44 AM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
>>> I followed the install guides online and everything went great, but when
>>> I tried to login I got the "503 Service Temporarily Unavailable" and
>>> in /var/log/messages:
>>>
>>> Sep 26 22:46:50 spacewalk wrapper[1582]: Startup failed: Timed out
>>> waiting for signal from JVM.
>>> Sep 26 22:46:51 spacewalk wrapper[1582]: JVM did not exit on request,
>>> terminated
>>> Sep 26 22:46:51 spacewalk wrapper[1582]: There were 5 failed launches in
>>> a row, each lasting less than 300 seconds.  Giving up.
>>> Sep 26 22:46:51 spacewalk wrapper[1582]:   There may be a configuration
>>> problem: please check the logs.
>>> Sep 26 22:46:51 spacewalk wrapper[1582]: <-- Wrapper Stopped
>>>
>>> I had read about a wrapper.ping.timeout you could adjust for cases like
>>> this, but couldn't find where the config file should be for that.  This
>>> is also running under vmware so might not be as fast as a normal
>>> machine.  We would like to test this before rolling it into production.
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dan

>> Since you can't login to the web UI, i would check the tomcat logs in
>> /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out to see if there are any more errors there.
>>
>> -Justin
>
> com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.BaseResourcePool$AcquireTask run
> WARNING:
>  com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.BaseResourcePool$AcquireTask at 52ef57f8 --
> Acquisition Attempt Failed!!!  Clearing pending acquires.  While trying
> to acquire a needed new resource, we failed to succeed more than the
> maximum number of allowed acquisition attempts (30).
>

> But no idea what that means either :)
>
> Dan

Looks like the java code can't talk to the database.  Are you able to run:

# sqlplus spacewalk/spacewalk at xe

without error?

Also can you run:

# grep hibernate /etc/rhn/rhn.conf

and provide that output?

Thanks,

--
Justin Sherrill, RHCA          1801 Varsity Drive.
Software Engineer                Raleigh, NC 27603