[Spacewalk-list] v1.2 - Can't view "Completed Actions" in the Scheduler

Speagle, Andy andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Wed Dec 22 17:38:40 UTC 2010

Since upgrading to v1.2, I'm no longer able to view "Completed Actions" under the Schedule tab.  When I click on it, the server takes about 60 seconds to timeout and then just returns me an Apache page that the server is unresponsive.  I can see in the httpd logs that the AJP connection to the tomcat server is lost as if this request is completely killing the tomcat server.   I don't get much in the catalina.out when this is going on, but after it finally times out, I get this error:

Dec 10, 2010 6:19:42 AM org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext action
WARNING: Error sending end packet
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.send(ChannelSocket.java:538)
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkInputStream.endMessage(JkInputStream.java:127)
        at org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext.action(MsgContext.java:302)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:183)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.finish(Response.java:305)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:205)
        at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:291)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:775)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:704)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:897)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:685)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Dec 10, 2010 6:19:42 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket processConnection
WARNING: processCallbacks status 2

Where can I look to try to troubleshoot this?  All other actions under the Schedule tab work just fine.

A quick bump on this one.  It seems that the query continues running on the external DB server and that the connection might be timing out on my Spacewalk server.  The relevant query seems to be:

SELECT DISTINCT UAO.id AS ID,
UAO.earliest_action AS EARLIEST,
UAO.type_name,
(DECODE(UAO.action_name, NULL, UAO.type_name, UAO.action_name)) AS ACTION_NAME,
UAO.scheduler,
WC.login AS SCHEDULER_NAME,
(SELECT COUNT(server_id) FROM rhnServerAction WHERE action_id = UAO.id AND status IN (0,1)) AS "IN_PROGRESS_SYSTEMS",
(SELECT COUNT(server_id) FROM rhnServerAction WHERE action_id = UAO.id AND status = 2) AS "COMPLETED_SYSTEMS",
(SELECT COUNT(server_id) FROM rhnServerAction WHERE action_id = UAO.id AND status = 3) AS "FAILED_SYSTEMS"
FROM rhnUserActionOverview UAO left join
web_contact WC on UAO.scheduler = WC.id
WHERE UAO.org_id = :1
AND UAO.user_id = :2
AND UAO.action_status_id = 2
AND UAO.archived = 0
ORDER BY EARLIEST DESC

I run it manually via sqlplus (after replacing the variables, of course) and it does take a few minutes to complete before a get quite a deluge of rows returned.  Is there perhaps a misconfigured timeout somewhere in my config?

Thanks,

Andy