[Spacewalk-list] dhcp pxe boot

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:08:31 UTC 2010

2010/2/18 Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com>:
> On 02/18/2010 12:59 PM, rob morrien wrote:
>>
>> Hello development,
>>

>> I work/test with spacewalk 07 but we have still a problem with the
>> setup and design with spacewalk.
>>
>> We are working on a Bank and we are not allowed to run with a dhcp server
>> in satellite and we are not alloed to do pxe boots
>>
>> Also we have no access to computer rooms.
>>
>> How can we fix this problem.
>
> Well it seems to me, that you are limited too much. I would reject to
> configure machines in such situation.
>
>> We have locally a solution
>> which adds hostnames and network configs to the system without using >
>> dhcp
>>
>> Maybe this option can be builds into spacewalk.
>
> You want to distribute static configuration files? Then you can use
> Configuration Channels in Spacewalk, which are used for exactly such case.
> --
> Miroslav Suchy
> Red Hat Satellite Engineering

I assume you still have some method by which to kickstart your
machines (mounted iso or however).

On that assumption search these lists for a post previously from me
with regards to reading the kernel command line and passing arguments
into a file in /tmp to read to configure the networking for static
machines (hostname, IP, etc etc).

Using that method I have machines with static IPs building fine
getting the given hostnames and so on....