[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk only works with local DB install

Stefan Bluhm stefanbluhm2 at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 20 10:06:58 UTC 2010

Hello all,

these are my set-ups:
a) Fedora 12, minimum install, DB on a different server
b) Fedora 12, minimum install, DB on the same server
c) Fedora 12, minimum install, dummy/empty DB running on the same
server, actual DB on a different server

when I run a), I get the error message:
Starting osa-dispatcher:
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jabber/jabber.py:68:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module
instead
  import sha, time
RHN 4765 2010/02/20 09:51:36 +02:00: ('Traceback (most recent call
last):\n  File "/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 254, in
setup_connection\n    c = self._get_jabber_client(js)\n  File
"/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 311, in
_get_jabber_client\n    c.connect()\n  File
"/usr/share/rhn/osad/jabber_lib.py", line 577, in connect\n
jabber.Client.connect(self)\n  File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/jabber/xmlstream.py", line 464, in
connect\n    else: self._sock.connect((self._hostIP, self._port))\n
File "<string>", line 1, in connect\nerror: [Errno 111] Connection
refused\n',)

when I run b), the system works fine.

Now I tried to play around with the scenarios and found the following:
When the DB is installed after Spacewalk has been configured for the
first time, I again get the above error message. The DB must be
configured before the spacewalk-setup is run.
To use an external DB, I have to set up scenario c). The local DB MUST
be runnning otherwise again I get the error message.

There is something wrong with the osa-dispatcher that it is always
trying to access the local DB when starting.
Not only that, the DB has to be started together with the
/usr/sbin/rhn-satellite restart script. If the DB is running and the
/usr/sbin/rhn-satellite restart script is started (obviously, the DB
part has been taken out of the start), it will again fail with the same
error message

Can someone please analyse that and fix it? I am happy to help out as I
have all the test scenarios saved