[Spacewalk-list] Best Practices

Michael Mraka michael.mraka at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 14:54:54 UTC 2010

Philip Mather wrote:
% That occurred to me as well after I fluffed naming some CentOS channels the
% first time around, my conclusion was a set of prepared scripts to
% automatically build a number of commonly used channels, obvious choices
% would be RHEL, CentOS, Fedora and spacewalk itself. Other candidates could
% be http://rpmfusion.org/, VMWare.. any others?
%
% It'd be nice if the scripts offered to do everything required like adding
% crontab entries to update them and added errata scripts with some sort of
% option system to select architectures, update schedule, download to local
% system first or suck straight from remote etc. One problem might be causing
% everyone to hit the same repositories at the same time, might need some
% randomization.
%
% Should this be a shell script or part of the HTTP GUI? If it's the first I
% can program in Bash all day long, hell I can also program in Python but I
% wouldn't exactly describe myself as a particularly big fan.
% It'd give people somewhere to start and a common channel base. Shall I knock
% together a page under something like
% Features/CommonChannelConstructor/Proposal?

I made something similar for Spacewalk 0.8 release tests; so I added
my script to spacewalk-utils package in nightly repo as
'spacewalk-common-channels'.

So install spacewalk-utils-0.9.4 and give it a try ;).
Comments/patches are welcome.

% >
% > I'd like to see a RHEL channel naming standard in Spacewalk.
% >
% > For RHEL content, we can't use the same channel names as Satellite
% > server does.  This leads to the community having a wide array of names
% > for RHEL channels.  This is problematic for scripts such as
% > rhn-clone-errata where everyone effectively has their own copy as they
% > need to modify it to match their channel names.  It's a real pity that
% > this restriction is in place.

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat