[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk 0.7 rhnsd not running rhn_check

Joshua Roys joshua.roys at gtri.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 22 12:56:17 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 06:36 PM, Lee Verberne wrote:
> access("/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date", R_OK) = 0
> open("/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date", O_RDONLY) = 1
> read(1, "# Red Hat Update Agent config fi"..., 4096) = 1483
> access("", R_OK)                        = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> sendto(0, "<31>Jan 21 16:14:56 rhnsd[21946]"..., 66, MSG_NOSIGNAL, NULL, 0) = 66
>
> The message that gets logged is:
> rhnsd[21946]:  does not exist or is unreadable
>
> So basically, rhnsd wakes up, parses /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date, attempts to
> open a systemid file of "", fails and exits.
>
> Looking for the source to rhnsd, I stumbled upon this:
> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/browser/client/rhel/rhnsd/rhnsd.c

> The other strange thing the above source is that it compiles the regular
> expression, but it never uses it.  So this source would never actually
> work -- which is why I'm loath to assume it's the actual source.

Hello,

I think rhnsd.c is merely checking for the existence of the systemid
file, and then it calls rhn_check, which re-parses it out and uses it.
(man rhn_check, man up2date)

It's possible, though, that there's something wrong with the regex; if
there were it would still prevent rhnsd from working properly.  What are
the contents of your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date file?  Specifically the
systemIdPath line.

Hope to help,

Josh