[Spacewalk-list] Error connecting to Database

Vishal Patil vishalspatil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 07:18:37 UTC 2010

Hi ,

the error come for the universal edition

# rpm -qa | grep oracle-xe
oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0

[root at Spacewalk-test Oraclexe]# less oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm
Name        : oracle-xe-univ               Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 10.2.0.1                          Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1.0                           Build Date: Mon 20 Feb 2006
06:39:56 AM CET
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
stadn61.us.oracle.com
Group       : Applications/OracleXE         Source RPM:
oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.src.rpm
Size        : 444777139                        License: Oracle Corporation
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Oracle <www.oracle.com>
URL         : http://www.oracle.com
Summary     : Oracle Database 10g Express Universal Edition

Shud i try reinstalling universal edition again

2010/3/3 Michael Mraka <michael.mraka at redhat.com>

> Vishal Patil wrote:
> % Hi ,
> %
> % I recreated the DB and it worked , but when I try to install spacewalk i
> get
> % the following error
> %
> % [root at Spacewalk-test ~]# spacewalk-setup --disconnected
> % * Setting up Oracle environment.
> % * Setting up database.
> % ** Database: Setting up database connection.
> % DB User? spacewalk
> % DB Password?
> % DB SID? xe
> % DB hostname? localhost
> % DB port [1521]?
> % DB protocol [TCP]?
> % *** Database: Testing database connection.
> % Database is using an invalid (non-UTF8) character set: (NLS_CHARACTERSET
> =
> % US7ASCII)*
> %
> % What does this error means , Can it be changed from some file or I need
> % make changes in Database
> %
> % Please suggest on how to proceed with fixing this error
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/OracleXeSetup
>
> Download the "Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Universal)"
>
> oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm
>
> which is the Multi-byte Unicode/UTF-8 database, not the "Western
> European" Single-byte LATIN1 database.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Michael Mráka