[Spacewalk-list] Oracle (XE but not specific to that) Backups...

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:50:20 UTC 2010

On 17 May 2010 10:30, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I figure someone else has probably run across this and can provide some advice.
>
> After enabling online backups last week on our oracle-xe instance we
> hit a problem of the flash recovery area filling up and stopping
> oracle (and hence spacewalk) from responding. I gave a band aid of
> increasing the allocated storage but can anyone provide any insight on
> what can be archived off the DB server from the flashrecovery
> directories (if anything) to stop this happening in future?
>
> Our Oracle DB is currently sitting at about 2 gigs of DB used by the
> spacewalk user. The flash recovery area was 10G and I've boosted it up
> to 20 for now...
>
> James

For the record in case anyone else hits this....

The backup recovery area being increased to 20GBs was still only just
enough to keep it semi-stable...

The reason it go so upset and grew so much was that the RMAN
configuration was holding data for a few days before obsoleting it and
as a consequence ran out of allocated space. Altered the configuration
to mark obsolete after a day using RMAN TARGET / and backups have been
clean since then.

James