[Spacewalk-list] Assigning packages to a group

Edward Simmonds esimm at fnal.gov
Thu May 20 19:43:11 UTC 2010

I must be missing something, but here's what I need to do:

I need to be able to register a client with Spacewalk, assign it to a group, and have a set of packages assigned to the
group.  For example, let's say I want all members of "Group A" to get the alpine rpm.  So, assume I then register a new
client, assign it to Group A using an activation key-- it should automatically grab the alpine package on its first
update attempt.

I'm not seeing a way to do this.  It looks like in all cases, packages are assigned to individual clients that are
already registered-- and these packages are assigned on a packages-->system relationship, not a packages-->system_group
relationship.  Thus, even if I work with a System Group and install some packages for members of that group, no record
exists of those packages being related to the Group itself, just the individual servers.

There is a freeform "Packages" text window on the activation key screens, and you can add package names to a textbox
there.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to do anything.

I looked at the "Stored Profiles", but they aren't editable, and aren't assignable to Groups or individual systems.

So am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Thanks much,

Ed