[Spacewalk-list] Assigning packages to a group

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri May 21 10:43:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Benedetto Vassallo wrote:

> Def. Quota Edward Simmonds <esimm at fnal.gov>:
>
>> I must be missing something, but here's what I need to do:
>>
>> I need to be able to register a client with Spacewalk, assign it to
>> a group, and have a set of packages assigned to the group.  For
>> example, let's say I want all members of "Group A" to get the alpine
>> rpm.  So, assume I then register a new client, assign it to Group A
>> using an activation key-- it should automatically grab the alpine
>> package on its first update attempt.
>>

> Hi,
> Assign the package to the activation key.
> In this way when you register the client it automatically install the package.

Am I right in thinking this doesn't maintain that relationship, it merely
installs those packages when first activated.

What'd be nice is if you could tag a machine as being a member of a group, and
having a set of packages linked to that group.  That way adding the package to
the list would both affect machines installed after that point, and machines
that are already a member of that group.

jh