[Spacewalk-list] Version 0.2 of centos-errata.py script

David Nutter davidn at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Fri May 28 16:03:51 UTC 2010

Hi all,

After nearly a year of shameful idleness, I have finally bestirred
myself to produce a new version of the script to coincide with the
release of CentOS 5.5. This was in no small part due to Raal Goff, who
produced an amended version of the script in November last year. I've
taken the liberty of incorporating his changes in this new
version. Get it here:

http://www.bioss.ac.uk/staff/davidn/spacewalk-stuff/

Improvements:

- Multiple architecture support. Please note that I can't test this
  fully (we're x86_64 only here) but it should work.
- (Raal Goff) Scraping of mail-archive.com
- (Raal Goff) Scraping of errata details from RedHat. This is off by default.
- (Raal Goff) Searching of spacewalk server for packages by matching the
  checksum. BTW Raal, that is a really clever solution and I tip my
  hat to you!

  Please note that directories for package_dir should still exist, but
  if you are relying on spacewalk for package searches they can be
  empty.
- Improved argument parsing and added support for specifying the
  config file on the command line.

Still TODO:

- Better docs (as ever :))
- Facilitate offline testing of mail-archive.com scraping
- Support multiple versions of CentOS (e.g. 4 and 5 in the same
  org). You can sort of do this with 2 config files, one for version 4
  and one for version 5 if you really want it.
- Make searching of spacewalk or the package directories (or both)
  configurable at runtime

Next steps:

Once everyone has had a chance to play with it and find bugs, I will
submit this script to the contrib repository and maintain it there in
future.

David Nutter  				Tel: +44 (0)131 650 4888
BioSS, JCMB, King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd, EH9 3JZ. Scotland, UK

Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland (BioSS) is formally part of The
Scottish Crop Research Institute (SCRI), a registered Scottish charity
No. SC006662