[Spacewalk-list] kickstarting from a USB stick/drive without the installer formatting the USB drive

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Fri May 28 18:20:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Sabuj Pattanayek <sabujp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ignoredisk --drives=sda
>
> ^ this is for systems where the primary HDD is PATA (hda). What I needed was :
>
> ignoredisk --drives=sdb

Well, this still didn't work as expected. Parted/fdisk or whatever it
uses left the USB drive alone but I think grub still got installed to
the USB drive because the system would just hang when trying to boot
from the the system HDD (sda). I used a centos DVD in linux rescue to
manually install grub onto hd(0,0), rebooted, and then after rebooting
also saw that grub.conf was setup with root hd(1,0) which again shows
that the installer installed grub onto the USB kickstart disk rather
than onto the system drive! Modified hd(1,0) to hd(0,0) while in the
grub menu and the boot worked. So what am I missing now ? Would this
work?:

bootloader --driveorder=sda,hda

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.5/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

Would those options cause grub to look at sda first and install there?
Again, a kickstart option like this would be great :

leavethef@$@!!@#kickstartmediaalone

Thanks,
Sabuj Pattanayek