[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk install/initialization issues on CentOS 5.5 (x86_64)

Dan Burkland dburklan at NMDP.ORG
Mon Oct 4 12:47:56 UTC 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 4:21 AM, Michael Mraka wrote:

Dan Burkland wrote:
% Hello all,
%
% I am trying to setup a Spacewalk server in a test environment on a
% CentOS 5.5 VMware VM with the following specs:
%
% CPU: 1 RAM: 2048MB HDD: 20GB (2GB SWAP)
%
% This VM is fully up to date and I have been using the "How to Install
% Spacewalk" guide found here
% https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToInstall. I can get
% everything installed however my problems begin at the step which
% requires spacewalk to be configured/initialized by running the
% "spacewalk-setup --disconnected" command. Right after pressing "Y" to
% tell the configurator to enable "tftp" & "xinted", I get the following
% error messages:
%
% cobblerd does not appear to be running/accessible * Restarting
% services.  Tomcat failed to start properly or the installer ran out of
% tries.  Please check /var/log/tomcat*/catalina.out for errors.
% Installation complete.  Visit https://CentOSTest2.dburkland.com to
% create the Spacewalk administrator account.
%
% The contents of the /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out file can be found at
% http://pastebin.com/h4FDyJ9V

2010-09-25 14:17:34,109 [main] ERROR com.redhat.rhn.common.conf.Config - Could not parse file /etc/rhn/rhn.conf

What are /etc/rhn/rhn.conf permissions?

% When I try to complete the last step in the "How to Install Spacwalk"
% guide described above (running the "/usr/sbin/rhn-satellite restart"
% command), everything seems to stop/start except for the
% osa-dispatcherservice. When this service is started I get the output
% shown here http://spacewalk.pastebin.com/QCP8WBv6

http://osdir.com/ml/spacewalk-list/2010-07/msg00069.html

% When I point my browser to https://CentOSTest2.dburkland.com I get a
% page seen in this screenshot http://yfrog.com/5lspacewalkerrormsgj
%
% I have tried my best to troubleshoot this but after a day I have still
% been unable to get this working. I have tried disabling SELinux to no
% avail so as of right now it is enabled and enforcing. (iptables is
% disabled FYI)

Michael Mráka
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat

I discovered that the problem was related to there being capital letters in my hostname. Once I fixed that in both /etc/hosts & /etc/sysconfig/network everything worked as it should.

Regards,

Dan