[Spacewalk-list] systems not registered by default?

Jason Welsh jason at monsterjam.org
Mon Sep 13 17:53:20 UTC 2010

On 09/13/10 11:51, Stroehmann, James wrote:
> My clients auto-register when kickstarting, you might be missing the spacewalk client tools in your package list?
>

> Also, one problem i was having originally was that new systems would not have the correct time on them, so i have a script in my kickstart to use rdate to update them.
>

> look in the root's home directory for the installation log files, post them here ... they might provide some clues.
>
> _______________

well, ive tried using the setup at
https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/HowToKickstartCobbler (please
correct me if this is not the right guide to follow)
the doc says to set up the "tools" distro as a child of my mail
rhel-server directory, and someone else stated that it should be this
way.. i.e.

rhel-server-5.5

       |----VT
       |----Cluster Server
       |----Cluster Virtualization
       |---- rhel-tools <-this has the 4 packages in it. (pyOpenSSL
rhnlib libxml2-python # spacewalk-koan)

BUT, when I goto the step that says
Select "Systems|Kickstart|Distributions" and select "+ create new
distribution"
     "Base channel" should be "Fedora 9 with Tools"     (or rhel-tools
in my case)

I cannot select this because its not a base channel.. its a child channel..

can someone please clear up how this is supposed to work?

Jason