[Spacewalk-list] how do the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ relate when using spacewalk?

Jet Wilda Jet.Wilda at fadv.com
Thu Sep 23 14:18:52 UTC 2010

Awesome I now get it.  Thanks :-D

From: spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Marco Giunta
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:08 AM
To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] how do the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/
relate when using spacewalk?

On -28163-01--10 20:59, Jet Wilda wrote:

Hi,

                Please excuse my ignorance but I still do not understand
something.  I get how to populate the channels in the Spacewalk server.
What I do not understand is how you prevent packages from EPEL or
RpmForge from overwriting base OS packages on the workstation that pulls
its updates (yum update) from the Spacewalk server.  Does the fact that
they are child channels automatically make it so they won't step on the
top base channel?

No, be a child channel don't prevent overwriting ...

If you sync EPEL repository directly to Spacewalk server channel, you
put all rpms in spacewalk,  including those overwriting base OS
packages.

But, if you sync CentOS base, updates, extras and EPEL repositories with
command 'reposync -l bla bla bla ' ('-l' flag = enable yum plugin
support) to local directories, you don't download Epel rpms that could
overwrite base OS packages, because you are using priority plugin ...

Now, if you sync every local directories ( those with CentOS base,
updates, extras and EPEL rpms downloaded above) to spacewalk channels,
you don't upload rpms that could overwrite base OS packages, because you
have never download them ...

  Marco

   Thanks again for answering my questions and being so patient with me
as I try to understand.

Thanks,

~Jet