[Spacewalk-list] Database Schema Update Issue - 1.2 to 1.3 Upgrade

Milan Zazrivec mzazrivec at redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 09:17:22 UTC 2011

> > > I'm having an issue with the upgrade from v1.2 to v1.3 ... when I run
> > > the spacewalk-schema-upgrade script... it just simply returns:
> > >
> > > No existing schema version info found in rhnVersionInfo.
> > >
> > > I can make a simple connection via sqlplus.. so I know the database is
> > > running and available.  Looking at the schema upgrade script... I find
> > > the query that it runs to check the schema version:
> > >
> > > select rhnPackageName.name || '-' || (PE.evr).version || '-' ||
> > > (PE.evr).release from rhnVersionInfo, rhnPackageName, rhnPackageEVR PE
> > >
> > >         where rhnVersionInfo.label = 'schema'
> > >         and rhnVersionInfo.name_id = rhnPackageName.id
> > >         and rhnVersionInfo.evr_id = PE.id;
> > >
> > > And when I run that manually via sqlplus .. I get no rows returned.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this issue?
> >
> > Yes. It means your previous schema upgrade (to Spacewalk 1.2) failed.
> > Check log files in /var/log/spacewalk/schema-upgrade for reasons why.
>
> Right... so, this is something that came up in an earlier thread I think.
> During my 1.2 upgrade I had this issue with the schema:
>
> SQL> set echo on
> SQL> spool
> /var/log/spacewalk/schema-upgrade/20101129-165813-to-spacewalk-schema-1.2.
> log append SQL> whenever sqlerror exit sql.sqlcode
> SQL> select
> 'spacewalk-schema-1.1-to-spacewalk-schema-1.2/210-rhnPackage-indexes.sql'
> from dual;
>
> 'SPACEWALK-SCHEMA-1.1-TO-SPACEWALK-SCHEMA-1.2/210-RHNPACKAGE-INDEXES.SQ
> spacewalk-schema-1.1-to-spacewalk-schema-1.2/210-rhnPackage-indexes.sql
>
> SQL>
> SQL> drop index rhn_package_id_nid_paid_idx;
> drop index rhn_package_id_nid_paid_idx
>            *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-02429: cannot drop index used for enforcement of unique/primary key
>
> However, there was a post that talked about this.. and how to fix it.  Did
> the fix fail to add something in the database to mark it as "successfully
> upgraded?"

I'm not quite sure what steps you did to fix the failed schema upgrade,
nonetheless ordinarily, spacewalk-schema-upgrade would insert one
line into rhnVersionInfo table at the very end of schema upgrade to indicate
version of current schema.

Find the 1.1 -> 1.2 .sql script in /var/log/spacewalk/schema-upgrade and
at the very bottom of the file, find a line:

exec dbms_utility.compile_schema(user);

You need to manually apply this line and everything after it using sqlplus.

-MZ