[Spacewalk-list] Configuring Proxy

Kobus Bensch kobus.bensch at lovefilm.com
Tue Apr 19 10:00:38 UTC 2011

The proxy in this case is for a remote location to minimise the amount
of large updates and other files in your spacewalk server from
traversing your network links and saturating them with updates and such.
The proxy will hold the files to enable remote clients from getting the
updates and files from a local source. Not to be confused with apache
and squid proxy.

On 19/04/11 10:13, Assaf Flatto wrote:

> OK , in that case it seems I have misunderstood the concept to the Spacwalk proxy .
>
> What i understood is that  the proxy function in the same way as a regular proxy , storing errata and packages for the use of the clients , and then if required they access the proxy instead of all clients establishing a connection to the outside source. (similar to the way one can run a proxy in front of a webserver on a single machine ) ,So the server is functioning as both the checker and the storage container .
>
> Is spacewalk proxy acting in another way ?
>
> why must it be a separate machine ? , Storage ? Bandwidth ? what is the restriction /application that requires the proxy and the server to be on two autonomous boxes ?
>
> Assaf
>

> On 19 Apr 2011, at 09:58, Michael Mraka wrote:

*Kobus Bensch*
Linux Administrator
kobus.bensch at lovefilm.com

No.9 | 6 Portal Way | London | W3 6RU |
T: +44 (0)20 8896 8014 | F: +44 (0)20 8896 8111
<http://www.lovefilm.com>

LOVEFiLM UK Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Number: 06528297.
Registered Office: No.9, 6 Portal Way, London W3 6RU, United Kingdom.

This e-mail is confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you have received it in error,
please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately.

This email message has been delivered safely and archived online by Mimecast.
For more information please visit http://www.mimecast.co.uk