[Spacewalk-list] Architecture question

Jeremy Davis jdavis4102 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:14:43 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I would like to provide how I have setup channels for Spacewalk.

Currently, we have a Development, Test, and Production 32bit and 64bit with
version 4, 5, and 6 base channels. These base channels contain the OS level
packages obtained form the OS CentOS yum repository. We then have
subchannels as follows. Extras, addons, centosplus, and updates. These
sub-channels of each of the base channels reflect each of the different
CentOS yum repositories with the same name. We then have a custom channel
created under the base channels for custom packages or custom builds of
packages that are assigned to different systems. This has worked out well as
we can assign certain custom channels to different systems and also upgrade
systems to the latest sub release like cent 5.4 to say 5.6 within the base
channels. It also allows for complete testing in each of the different
environments (Dev,Test,Prod). In order to move between 4 5 and 6 we retire
old servers and rebuild the server as the new release and assign it to the
correct channels based on keys. Below is a short example of what I am
talking about above.

<orgname>-centos-{development,test,production}-base-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}

<orgname>-centos-{development,test,production}-addons-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}

<orgname>-centos-{development,test,production}-centosplus-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}

<orgname>-centos-{development,test,production}-contrib-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}

<orgname>-centos-{development,test,production}-extras-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}

<orgname>-centos-{development,test,production}-updates-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}

<orgname>-custom-{development,test,production}-{v4,v5,v6}-{32bit,64bit}-<product/environment
name>

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Thank you for
your time and have a great day!

Thanks,
Jeremy