[Spacewalk-list] RHEL support and Ubuntu Support

Simon Lukasik slukasik at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 08:19:51 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 04:49 PM, Jeff Bjorklund wrote:

> Also, I see that there is “limited support” for Debian systems. Where is
> this in the development stage? I read that Simon released a
> Apt-Spacewalk package, is this stable yet? And does it work on Ubuntu,
> or just Debian?

Limited, indeed, Debian support is pretty narrowed currently.

Even thought, basic scenarios of package management has been completed,
and you might find that things are just working for you -- it is not
that simple.

Apt-Spacewalk is not the only one package on Debian needed for Spacewalk
scenarios. The rest of the client packages needs to be migrated as well.
Some of the Debian specific changes we already have in upstream (Fedora)
packages. And you might find deb packaging files in git:

 http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spacewalk.git;a=tree;f=client/debian

Unfortunately, for the other (not listed) packages we only have old
*.deb builds. Basically, there is no way how to rebuild those without
sources. There is no way how we could support something, without means
to rebuild.

For Debian, I do miss a testing infrastructure, automatic builds
environment and a spare time. However, the project is not completely
dead. Marcelo Moreira de Mello recently contributed[1] rhncfg packaging
for Debian.

For Ubuntu, we have one additional unresolved issue [2] (on the top of
Debian issues).

Hope this helps,

--
Simon Lukasik