[Spacewalk-list] OpenJDK update breaks taskomatic (1.2)

Sander Grendelman sander at grendelman.com
Thu Feb 24 15:02:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:04:01PM +0100, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 11:18 AM, Sander Grendelman wrote:
>> I can confirm that removing the 64-bit paths from the java library path
>> in /etc/rhn/default/rhn_taskomatic_daemon.conf fixes this issue.
>> I don't know the inner workings of the tanuki wrapper but does it set
>> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH according to the java library path?
>
> Hello,
>
> unfortunately we was not able to reproduce your issue. My original
> estimate was not correct. The Errata seems to fix "vulnerability
> involving an *empty* LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable". Something
> like LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp::/lib being interpreted as
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp:.:/lib
>
> In advance the Tanukiwrapper sets java.library.path and this one is
> safe. There is substantial difference between these two paths. Very
> nicely described at http://kalblogs.blogspot.com/2009/01/java.html
>
> The outcome is we really don't know what's wrong in your setup and it's
> strange removing the paths fixes the problem.

This is strange indeed, bear in mind that my setup is spacewalk 1.2 I'll
try upgrading to spacewalk 1.3 when I move this server from a Xen-VM to
physical hardware.

> Are you able to reproduce it again (by reverting the config and
> switching back to OpenJDK)?

yes

> Are you able to reproduce with the latest OpenJDK update (there are few
> more updates to OpenJDK now).

I'll try that now, I'll also try to bring the problem down to a direct
java call.

Thanks for your help/patience.

Kind regards,

Sander Grendelman.