[Spacewalk-list] Creating Yum Repo and Registering Systems

Kenneth Ratliff lists at noctum.net
Fri Feb 11 22:20:08 UTC 2011

On 2/11/2011 12:42 PM, William S. wrote:
> In the past, I would have normally used a cron task to rsync with a
> mirror to download the packages to a local system, and then I would
> use createrepo along with httpd to set it up. I'm a bit confused on
> how this is done with spacewalk, and having stared at the
> documentation, I'm afraid I've overwhelmed myself with too much
> information. Unfortunately, I'm not a *nix guru so, I can't simply
> figure it out 100% on my own.
>
> Is there a simple explanation to my complex question? Any tips, guides
> or cookbooks that I can study? Perhaps the RHN satellite docs (if
> relevant)? It seems that I'm missing something because I can't read
> between the lines with the wiki posts.

I had to figure this out myself last week, and I was a little mystified,
since the instructions were different than what I was actually seeing in
my screen.

first thing to do is click on Channels, then go down to Manage Software
Channels. In the left box, click on Manage Repositories, and then up in
the right corner, click on create new repository. Create your label, and
then put in the URL of the repo and save it.

Then click on manage software channels, and set it up how you'd like.
Once you've created it, click on it, and then at the top there will be
an option for repositories. Check the box next to any repo you want to
sync into this channel, click Update repositories. Then at the top
there's a button called Sync. Click on that, and you will have the
option to force a sync by clicking sync now, or you can set it up on a
schedule. It will then start importing the packages from that remote
repo into spacewalk.

So basically, software channels are kind of equivalent to yum repos, but
you can add more than one repo to a channel.  When you register a host
with the spacewalk server, you then define which channels that host has
access to on the spacewalk server, thereby controlling package
management centrally instead of having to setup repos on each individual box