[Spacewalk-list] Do you have a brief that shows why you want satellite over just using rhn?

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 23:05:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Aaron Prayther <aprayther at lce.com> wrote:
> Do you have a brief that shows why you want satellite over just using
> rhn?
>
> A feature comparison.  Examples of use. Or anything like that.
>
> Thanks for any info.   Looked all around redhat.com and could not find
> anything.
>

> Aaron Prayther

Satellite:
- is faster as the content is local
- allows you to prevent your systems from accessing non-trusted
networks (essential in critical infrastructure enviroments like water,
power, etc) yet still get the updates
- allows you to manage your own content (in house software you've
packaged as RPMs)
- allows you to manage your Solaris nodes (if you happen to be so unfortunate)
- allows you to manage configuration files
- allows you to build/rebuild nodes (maybe this can be done with RHN
but would be way quicker if the content is local)
- allows you to do system monitoring (maybe this can be done with RHN)

Having used Satellite I'd never willingly go back to plain RHN.

CC

--
RHCE#805007969328369