[Spacewalk-list] Postgresql slowness

Jonathan Hoser jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Thu Jul 21 11:52:18 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 10:31 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Silvio.Schanz at elektrobit.com wrote:
>
>> I noticed the same behavior after my postgres migration.  My sync of the
>> fedora channel slowed down.
>>
>> I started a repo-sync yesterday at 14:41 and I got only 300 packages until
>> now (8:00).
> Kill the spacewalk-repo-sync process, waiting a number of seconds and starting
> it back up returned performance for a while.  By doing this I managed to push
> all of CentOS6 and updates and spacewalk client in about 6 hours, when I'd not
> managed to push CentOS6 base in 24 without intervention.
>
> Chasing performance at all costs, I'd made these changes to the config.
> checkpoint_segments was in response to a warning in the log, and increased
> work_mem cleared some other warnings about temporary files.  The machine had
> plenty of unused memory, so I was being fairly liberal.
>
> work_mem = 100MB                        # min 64kB
> synchronous_commit = off                # immediate fsync at commit
> wal_buffers = 100MB                     # min 32kB
> checkpoint_segments = 10                # in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
> effective_cache_size = 1024MB
>
> jh
Hm. I just repo-synced CentOS 6 (base, update, all of the other extra
repos) yesterday in less than a workday (I guess more like 5hours).
Just letting it run without further interactions.

My config lines:
shared_buffers = 12GB
temp_buffers = 64MB
work_mem = 32MB
maintainance_work_mem = 32GB
fsync = off
synchronous_commit = off
checkpoint_segments = 30

I have not set 'wal_buffers' and 'effective_cache_size' so I guess these
are at default levels.
Files reside on a software (LVM) Raid1 consisting of two 1TB SATA drives.

Best
-Jonathan

Jonathan Hoser, M.Sc.
Institute of Bioinformatics and System Biology
Phone: +49-89-3187-4556
Fax: +49-89-3187-3585
Email: jonathan.hoser at helmholtz-muenchen.de
WWW: http://mips.helmholtz-muenchen.de

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671