[Spacewalk-list] Postgresql slowness

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 16:36:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Jan Pazdziora wrote:

> After each package "push" is done, the code tries to make sure the
> rhnChannelNewestPackage "cache" is in sync, so it recalculates the
> whole channel.
>
> We could do it after the whole channel is synced -- but what if the
> sync fails before it gets chance to call the refresh?

I'm not clear why this slows down significantly with every package pushed (to
the extent it's taking over 6 seconds per package), but then cheer up if I
restart the sync.

/Perhaps/ this could be done periodically by taskomatic rather than per
package push?  I'm not sure, but given it's adding several seconds per package
pushed on my system, I just thought I'd question whether it needs to happen in
the way it is at the moment.  I concede my database isn't necessarily
sprightly, but this is adding hours and hours to a full push at the minute.

Given that a failed sync would hopefully be a rare event (it'd have to fail to
the extent repo-sync fairly ungracefully quit I'd assume), would once per sync
anda a nightly call be unreasonable?

jh