[Spacewalk-list] Spacewalk activation error

Alexander Yegorov alex.yegorov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:31:19 UTC 2011

On 07/31/2011 04:03 PM, Alexander Yegorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run the spacewalk-setup script, however it exits with the
> error:
> spacewalk-setup --disconnected --answer-file=/tmp/ansfile
> ** Database: Setting up database connection for PostgreSQL backend.
> ** Database: Populating database.
> The Database has schema.  Would you like to clear the database [Y]? N
> ** Database: The database already has schema.  Skipping database population.
> * Setting up users and groups.
> ** GPG: Initializing GPG and importing key.
> * Performing initial configuration.
> * Activating Spacewalk.
> ** Verifying certificate locally.
> ** Activating Spacewalk.
> There was a problem validating the satellite certificate: 1
>
> I traced the issue to launching /usr/bin/rhn-satellite-activate script,
> since /var/log/rhn/rhn-installation.log reveals:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/rhn-satellite-activate", line 42, in <module>
>     sys.exit(abs(mod.main() or 0))
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/satellite_tools/rhn_satellite_activate.py",
> line 584, in main
>     username=db_user, password=db_password, database=database)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/__init__.py",
> line 124, in initDB
>     __init__DB(backend, host, port, username, password, database)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/__init__.py",
> line 55, in __init__DB
>     __DB.connect()
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/driver_postgresql.py",
> line 163, in connect
>     return self.connect(reconnect=0)
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/driver_postgresql.py",
> line 167, in connect
>     [self.database, e.pgcode, e.pgerror, "Attempting Re-Connect to the
> database failed",])
> spacewalk.server.rhnSQL.sql_base.SQLConnectError: (None, None,
> 'spaceschema', 'Attempting Re-Connect to the database failed')
>
> My first guess was the inability of this software to connect to
> postgresql, which runs on localhost, however upon retesting the
> connection several times, I skipped this guess.
>
> Could you please help me pointing the reason out?
>
> OS: SL 6.1
> Spacewalk: 1.5.45
Printed the connection variables from
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/spacewalk/server/rhnSQL/driver_postgresql.py,
by adding ">>" marked lines into def connect func:
    def connect(self, reconnect=1):
        try:
            if self.host is None:
>>                print ("Variables %s %s %s" %
(self.database,self.username,self.password) )
                self.dbh = psycopg2.connect(database=self.database,
user=self.username,
                                            password=self.password)
            else:
>>                print ("Variables %s %s %s %s %s" %
(self.database,self.username,self.password,self.host,self.port) )
                self.dbh = psycopg2.connect(database=self.database,
user=self.username,
                                            password=self.password,
host=self.host, port=self.port)

It appeared the driver_postgresql.py did not like my password, which had
special symbol, particularly '#' (password variable was printed with the
contents before #, not after)