[Spacewalk-list] PXE booting a VMWare server

Kennedy, Ryan rkennedy at PAML.com
Thu Jun 9 00:53:43 UTC 2011

In that case... you probably just need to fix your DHCP server and tell it to pass out valid DNS servers. :-)  Not sure why that would differ between VMs and physicals though, unless they are hitting a different pool or something.

Yeah, the VMware determination is something fairly new to Spacewalk.  Well... at least newer than version 0.6. :-)

Glad you got it working.

From: spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:spacewalk-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Scott Rakow
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:38 PM
To: spacewalk-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Spacewalk-list] PXE booting a VMWare server

So, some deeper Googling came up with the solution, as it looks like someone had the same problem before. I had to change a line in the /etc/cobbler/settings file from the c-name to the IP address.
server: host_name

server: ip.address.of.host

With out this it would load the stage 2, format the file systems, then get lost. The boot sector was already written to, so to get it to PXE again, it had to be "rescued" and a dd done to the 1st 512 (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1).

Also Mark and Ryan, my systems show up as VMWare virtual guests in Spacewalk, not physical servers.

Scott