[Spacewalk-list] Package Sync and Dependency Failures

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at myriad.com
Tue Jun 14 14:14:07 UTC 2011

Im totally confused on doing package synchronization between systems
and/or profiles. For instance:

I run a sync between two machines and one of the scheduled package
changes is:

Replace hal-0.5.8.1-59.el5 with hal-0.5.8.1-62.el5.

The task then fails with:

Client execution returned "Failed: packages requested raised dependency
problems: [u'Missing Dependency: pm-utils >= 0.99.3-6 is needed by
package hal-0.5.8.1-62.el5.x86_64 (rhel5updates-x8664)']" (code 18)

rhel5updates-x8664 is a child channel of a base 64bit rhel5 channel
which contains every point release of RHEL5.

Additionally the package it claims to not find is available. Not only in
the GUI but command line yum install/upgrade as well.

Also the pm-utils package is identical on both machines. There is no
scheduled change to the package pm-utils. Its not being downgraded,
upgraded nor removed.

Further more if I do a "yum update hal" on the system which is failing
to sync hal will upgrade without issue and does NOT require that
dependency. Yes, it upgrades to the very version listed in the scheduled
list.

So why is it Im seeing this failure when the dependency does not appear
to exist, pm-utils is not being touched, is identical on both systems
and a manual yum upgrade hal works perfectly fine?

If there was truly a problem there should be no way for me to update hal
via yum. This would seem to indicate something going pear shaped with
the package sync process.